Wednesday, September 21, 2016

I'll Start Saving Tomorrow

It's a statement that I feel that a lot of us hear quite often from those in our company. I'll start saving tomorrow. It's easy to say, isn't it? And it sounds good! If only it were true.

What is the difference between us and them though? Why were some of us actually successful when we put our saving ahead of our over indulgences? It's a tough question to answer but I've been thinking about it a lot lately because in the recent past I have been approached by a much larger handful of people than normal that have asked me how I have been doing it.

For me, the answer is simple. Living at a deficit is what creates wealth. It's been proven time and time again by those who stay wealthy. The way that I myself create this deficit for my wife and I is that anytime we are about to buy something, I ask both of us,

"will we actually use this or will this be used once and then forgotten?"

One would think that it would be easy to overcome this statement. After all, you can justify just about anything if given enough time to think about something. The very act however seems to bring out a purpose for not buying. This is the purpose that I am forever grateful for. Where buying gives the purpose of gaining something new, the act of asking whether or not you should seems to give a greater outlook.

I ask myself again then, how am I any different than so many others who have asked for my help but ultimately failed to apply it? Is it a change of mindset brought on by the consumerism that has been bred in them their entire life? Or is it something different that I just can't seem to see? The fact of the matter is that it seems to work for me. Then why should it not work for others? 

I then pose this question to my readers; why is it that others find it so incredibly hard to live at a deficit? Do people internally just not want to retire? Are they running away from their mortality? Can they really not stop themselves from over indulging? Why do you think this is the case? 


2 comments:

  1. I think it all boils down to people are different. Seems like a simple answer but I can bet there's plenty of people out there that just scratch their heads and think why would they live so frugally when they can afford to spend so much more. I like to think I'm fairly frugal and my friends certainly give me trouble about being 'cheap' but I think I fall somewhere in between both extremes of ultra frugal and the shop till you drop crowd. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny what people consider "frugal" isn't it? I used to get mad as a kid because my dad would chew me out for not using every last drop of peanut butter before throwing the last of it away. Didn't really get it until I started trying to save and then it really hit home.

      Delete